- 30 Aug 1604:11 PMCoal India is turning out to be a classic case of government milking its cash cow. Left with a few profitable public sector listed companies, government is taking away whatever it can from the biggest cash generating listed entity.04:44 AMIt is too early to herald it as a new era. Even to call it a good start might be risky, unless we see some follow-ups in the near future.03:09 AMTo the advantage of Indian steel and mineral industries, there is a fund of goodwill for this country in Iran, which has launched a massive infrastructure building programme following the withdrawal of sanctions.03:03 AMEconomists too often talk about policy changes in abstract, ignoring the drawbacks that even sensible reforms can bring. For years, analysts have been urging China to shift its economy away from heavy industry and toward services and consumption.02:05 AMEvernote, a Silicon Valley start-up that makes a note-taking app, was supposed to be dead by now.01:59 AMMicro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) which plough back profits into the business tend to grow faster, compared with peers that don't.
- 29 Aug 1610:45 PMAfter a 23 per cent run since the presentation of the Union Budget in February 2016 till July-end, the markets entered into a consolidation phase in August with the Nifty50 index hovering at 8,550 levels in intra-day deals on Monday.12:30 PMOver the past year, both private and public sector banks (PSBs), prodded by the Reserve Bank of India, have been aggressive in recognising the true extent of bad loans plaguing the system.12:24 PMAt an analyst meet last week, information technology giant Infosys, led by Vishal Sikka, said that it will give a clearer guidance for revenue growth post the September quarter.01:25 AMWhat does it mean if the shares of a company are pledged by the promoter? Pranav Haldea, managing director of Prime Database, says pledging of shares by promoters is by itself not a bad thing, as it is the fastest and cheapest way to raise funds.12:10 AMThis month’s approval by Competition Commission of India (CCI) to acquire the Jaiprakash group’s 21.1 million tonnes (mt) of cement assets will catapult the Aditya Birla Group’s UltraTech way ahead of its close competitor,
- 28 Aug 1610:22 PMI have an endowment plan.11:15 AMFederal Reserve policymakers are signaling they could raise US interest rates soon but they are already weighing new tools they may need to fight the next recession.
- 26 Aug 1602:15 PMDenys Prykhodov / Shutterstock.comWhatsApp on Thursday announced it would be sharing information such as users’ phone numbers with Facebook.
- 25 Aug 1610:47 PMVolumes continued to drive revenue at leading companies in the June quarter, though pricing power remained elusive.11:06 AMThe new Unified Payments Interface (UPI) by National Payments Corporation of India is expected to make mobile payments much easier.10:15 AMIn this raging bull market, there are many stocks hitting new 52-week and life-time highs every day.09:44 AMTraders are anticipating Indian currency and bond markets to witness one of the most volatile times over the next three months. According to Bloomberg, rupee volatility is already at a three week high of 5.62 per cent.12:50 AMNestlé India’s sales growth in the first six months of this year followed a familiar script: high dependence on instant noodles Maggi.12:31 AMWhile the capital goods segment in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) contracted 18 per cent in the first quarter of the current financial year, new data from the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) suggest that the investment