Live Markets »News & Advice»Company News»Company News Details
Company News Details

Power Grid likely to get Rs 1,980 cr from IFC

Press Trust of India/New Delhi 04 Mar 12 | 12:11 PM
 Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd

BSE   22 May 18 | 11:49 AM

213.00  0.05 (0.02%)

NSE   22 May 18 | 11:44 AM

212.60  -0.05 (-0.02%)

State-run Power Grid Corporation is likely to get $400 million (over Rs 1,980 crore) funding from the International Finance Corp for undertaking electricity transmission projects in the country.

The proposed funding would make up for 15% of the national power transmission company's projects cost, estimated to be worth about Rs 15,000 crore, according to the IFC.

Related Stories

    No Related Stories Found
Widgets Magazine

The entity, part of World Bank group, focuses on lending to entities in developing countries.

IFC would put up the $400 million funding proposal before its board on May 3.

"The total project cost is estimated to be $2.3-3.5 billion (Rs 15,000 crore) over the next 12 months... IFC financing of upto $400 million is expected to finance approximately 15% of the project cost on corporate finance basis," IFC said in its 'Summary of Proposed Investment'.

Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (PGCIL) is expected to fund 70% of the projects' cost through debt while the remaining 30% will be from internal accruals.

"The proceeds from IFC is intended for financing transmission projects to be undertaken by Power Grid and shall not be used for EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) consulting and/or O&M (Operations & Maintenance) services and/or joint-venture projects," IFC said.

Balance of the debt would be raised from multilateral lenders "namely World Bank and ADB and through issuance of domestic bonds".

Apart from this loan, Power Grid has also asked for IFC's support to enter other markets.

"Power Grid is also seeking engagement with IFC to increase their participation in other emerging markets. They would like to take up projects in Asia and Africa to expand their footprint and support from IFC will help them enter these markets," the summary noted.

The public sector major already has board approvals for investments worth about Rs 70,000 crore related to 12th Plan Period (2012-17) projects.

It reported a profit after tax of Rs 809 crore in the three months ended December 2011 as compared to Rs 591 crore in the year-ago period.

Widgets Magazine


Company Price Gain (%)
Bajaj Auto2,806.803.20
Bharti Airtel368.352.26
Dr Reddy's Labs1,926.401.69
Larsen & Toubro1,330.201.23


Currently No Poll Available.

Online Portfolio

You can create Online Portfolio here using the below button.

Widgets Magazine